Here are some very basic steps you should take when considering to migrate to SharePoint 2010.
1. Build your new SP 2010 farm. Install all new 2010 non OOB solutions
2. Create your search center, scopes, meta structure…etc. You can migrate all of these setting using some free tools listed here.
3. Set up your Search Center in new Farm. This is not necessary but recommended to have a central searching center.
4. Brand Search Center and make look identical to your existing Search center including navigation. You may want to change the look and feel slightly to allow your users the 2010 look.
5. Set up your User Profiles and MySites. You will most likely want to migrate all user profile data, then perform nightly synchronizations for this data.
6. Run your pre-upgrade check tool by Microsoft. This tool provides some great information. Please don’t take this as the final word for what…
View original post 247 more words