Microsoft Flow has been introduced to automate the workflows between your favorite applications. With flows you can collect data, send/get notifications, access files and more.
Human involvement in tracking changes in the dataset, may end up slowing the notification process. Communication within the team does immediately not happen when there is a change in the dataset. This communication breakdown causes essential information to not be brought out to the team in a timely manner. Today I am creating a flow that uses Power BI to send an alert to my sales team when the sales meet the threshold value.
Every time the company sales falls below the threshold value, the sales team should be notified immediately. The team can then work to address the problem at an initial stage and not end up in a situation where they are surprised by the fluctuations in the value at later stages. Microsoft Flows can communicate with a huge set of applications which includes Power BI and Office 365 Outlook. This problem can be solved using Flows. A Flow was created to send out an email with ample information immediately and automatically, when the company sales fall below the threshold value.
BUILD THE FUNCTIONAL FLOW
To start off with, I have already created a gauge in Power BI Service that is connected to live stream sales data.
- Set an alert, by opening menu and hit the bell like icon. That will open alert pane. You can add as many alerts as needed. Click on add alert and set alert name, condition and the frequency as required and done. You have successfully created an alert.
- Now that I created alert, it`s time to start setting up the flow. Go to the following link to create a new flow https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/
- Start by adding Power BI to the flow, to do this search for power BI. As I wanted to notify my team when a data driven alert is triggered. I will go ahead and select Triggers.
- Give an appropriate Alert ID, pick from the drop down menu that has the list of all the alerts configured in Power BI Services.
- Add an action that sends out an email to the sales team with ample information.
VERIFY THE FUNCTIONAL FLOW
I am using Office 365 outlook – send an email, to communicate with sales team. There are around 30 actions under office 365 outlook to pick from. Enter the email id(s) to whom the alert should be sent. A Side pane pops up when filling out details for sending an email, that has the information from the Power BI alerts and allows the user to add that information in the flow with a single click. Hit Create a flow and the flow is created and start working immediately.
Alert Monitoring team can now sit back and relax without the worry of manually checking sales data on a regular basis. With few simple steps, an automated flow to send an e-mail to the sales team was created. With the good understanding of the flow that you want to setup, it is easy to use Microsoft flows to create automated work flows.